Why am I doing this?! The frazzled mom’s guide to a calm family photo session.
It seemed like a great idea at the time… a family portrait session to capture this awesome chapter in your family story. But as you round up the kids, promise your husband it won’t take too long, try to brush out your daughter’s tangles and get the boys to stop pinching each other, the glamour of the moment starts to wear thin. “Is it really worth it?!” you ask yourself?
YES!! Many of our Main Line, Philadelphia area and Chester county clients would say so. And it doesn’t have to be hard work!
Here are some tips to help you master the art of family portrait day.
- Plan ahead. Book your session for a day that is not already over scheduled. This should be a fun experience, not a stressful addition to your already busy life. When planning the time of day, take into consideration your children’s regular naptimes and snack times. A well rested and well fed child will be much happier and have more fun during the photography session. If you’ve been travelling, give your kids at least 24-48 hours to get back into a regular routine before the session.
- Style a photo session in advance. Think about where you want to put these pictures and how you want to use them. Then choose your color scheme for clothing. We don’t think everyone should be wearing the same thing! But we do believe that having a color palette and keeping everyone within it will give you a very beautiful finished look. Whether you want a handful of desk prints, a wall collection or a fun brag book, the images will work together nicely and you will have a timeless look. Check out our studio blogs, pinterest, and magazines to get a sense of what looks good together. Then make sure everything is clean, pressed and ready for picture day the night before, so you don’t have to scramble that morning.
- Don’t bribe or beg your kids. Believe it or not, nine times out of ten it backfires!! When we bribe our kids with a treat for after the session, we’re giving them the impression that the session is something yucky they have to suffer through in order to win the prize. Instead, build excitement in the week before the session so that they will look forward to it. Let them know that you are excited to play with them in the photography studio and take fun pictures. Turn it into an outing or an adventure that the whole family will enjoy. Kids take their cues from us parents. If you aren’t stressed about it, they won’t be either!
- Don’t sweat it if they are off that day. It’s a bummer, but it happens. Kids go to bed healthy and wake up with an earache. Maybe they didn’t sleep well, or maybe something frightened them. It’s ok. If we think that the session isn’t going to get you great images, we will happily reschedule you to a day when everyone is feeling fantastic. When in doubt, just give us a call. We’re always happy to help.
- Take a deep breath and enjoy! Remember why you are doing this. Your family is your biggest treasure! Your kids are adorable, and this moment is worth capturing. These are pictures that you and your children (and their children) will cherish forever.
We hope this helps you prepare for your photo session and enjoy the process. When you look at your photos, we hope that you not only love the images but remember the session as fun and enjoyable.